Prayers & Affirmations for Someone Struggling With Addiction
Prayers & Affirmations for an Addict or Alcoholic
It’s challenging when a loved one is struggling with the disease of addiction. You find out in a quick minute that essentially you’re powerless to change or fix them. You can, however, learn how to best support your loved one and take care of yourself too. I find prayer helps. I find having faith in God to act helps, because my “talks” don’t seem to get through. (I’m sure many can relate)
Take time to sit quietly and pray for your loved ones. Affirm them. Visualize them free from the grip of addiction. See God/Jesus/Angels surrounding him or her. Cover them in prayer regularly.
Here are some prayers and affirmations I’ve written you can use as a guide, but certainly pray as you are led. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to prayer. Say what you feel and what you want.
Please pray with a sincere, earnest heart.
- God, please open _____ eyes to the reality of this situation and his/her dependence on alcohol/drugs. Let him/her begin to see and acknowledge that he/she is not in control of his/her usage. That he/she would benefit greatly from quitting drinking/drugging.
- God, please strengthen _____ and give him/her the courage to reach out for help. Enable him to take his/her first step toward recovery. Give him/her persistence to persevere to be free from alcoholism/drug addiction.
- I pray that you would begin to heal ______ brokenness and emptiness. Help him/her to move past the guilt, shame, and anger the he/she may have from years of addiction. Give them the courage to reach out for professional help. Let him/her see how loved and valuable they are!
- I pray for ______ freedom, deliverance, and restoration.
- I come before You, God and repent of all my sins and my ancestors sins that may have resulted in a curse. I repent of all disobedience, rebellion, lying, perversion, adultery, idolatry, fornication, murder, witchcraft, and so on. May Your forgiveness abound!
- In the authority in the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I command all demonic spirits of depression, alcoholism, addictions of any kind, anxiety, fear, rage, torment, guilt, rejection, sickness, confusion, apathy, laziness, to release _____________ in Jesus Name! All darkness must flee!
- I break all written and spoken curses over my life and my family’s life in Jesus name! I break every chain, shackle, cord, habit, craving, soul-ties, and debt that has tried to steal from our lives.
- _____ is free from the curse.
- ______ is free from alcoholism.
- _____is blessed abundantly.
- ______ receives the spirit of discernment. He/she has your vision, God, and follows your ways.
- God, protect and be with _____. Send your angels to accompany, defend, and protect him/her. Place a hedge of protection around him/her. Remove any enabler or bad influence from his/her life. Surround him/her with godly, good souls who will encourage him. Lead him/her to those who can offer valuable support, encouragement, and accountability.
- Increase his/her faith in You. Give him/her passion and purpose. Show him/her your plan for his life and give him/her the desire to follow YOUR ways.
- Help him/her remember who he/she is in You. Let him/her experience Your peace and unconditional love.
- Thank you, God, for hearing and answering my prayers.
POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS FOR ALCOHOLICS OR ADDICTS
____ is free from addiction.
____ looks inward to find peace and joy.
____ takes full responsibility for his/her life.
____ resists the temptation to drink/use drugs.
____ has positive social supports surrounding him/her.
____ loves him/herself.
____ takes good care of him/herself mentally and physically.
____ is living a happy and healthy life.
No person, place, or thing has power over ____.
____ is doing the best he/she can right now. He/she is willing to grow and evolve.
____ supports him/herself in loving and supportive ways.
Dominica Applegate is an author, writer, and transpersonal spiritual teacher. Her teachings have helped millions of people experience emotional healing, relationship repair, and spiritual awakening. Earning her BA in Psychology and MA in Counseling, she worked 12 years in the mental health field before diving full-time into writing.
She runs Rediscovering Sacredness, an online portal that offers inspiration, essays, resources, and tools to help heal inner pain and experience more peace and joy.
Her books include Recycle Your Pain: It Has a Purpose, Into The Wild Shadow Work Journal, and a collection of poetry entitled, The Pain, It Shapes Her World.